Tuesday, January 16, 2007

No Tatoos at the Onsen

Oh my gosh... I recently discovered through an e-mail about a school event to an onsen (hot spring) that most onsens do not allow anyone in who has a tatoo. I them researched this surprising discovery and found that it is, in fact, true. I found a picture that someone took at an actual onsen. I do not have that picture available at the moment but believe me. Just type in "no tatoos at onsen" in Google and you too will see what I have seen.

So, I have a question. How can a country that is a democracy and has a constitution with civil rights, do something like this and get away with it? If you ask me it si another way to "keep out the riff raff" aka gaijin (foreigners). Og course that is my opinion and you are free to disagree because we live in a free country where we are allowed to do what we want and not be punished or outcast for it. Obviously it doesn't always work like that in America and foreigners are not always discriminated against in Japan but it's the principle of the thing.

Just something to ponder and, if you are an American, appreciate being one. Man, I am glad I am an American.

You learn something new everyday, even if you don't like it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

actually, I did a project on this last semester, and most onsens, and gyms will not allow people with tattoos because "traditionally" people with tattoos are associated with the Yakuza and they claim it makes other customers uncomfortable

Meagan said...

well i'm out of luck then. no onsens for meagan.

Anonymous said...

so are you going to reconsider getting a tatoo then?
--Christian

Anonymous said...

what do you really care? You have no tatoo...
nick

Anonymous said...

hahahaha~! thats funny. I can just see the look on your face!!!

Matt said...

I don't think it's a government regulation. I believe it's a rule created by the owners of the individual onsens.

In my opinion, onsen owners should be allowed to keep out anyone they want based on whatever criteria they choose.

If I owned any kind of public bath (very unlikely) I wouldn't let tattooed people in either. Tattoos are nasty.