Friday, January 12, 2007

Don Quixote and Yakuza

Today was one of the saddest days of my life. I found out that one of my favorite stores, Don Quixote is run and supports a form of the Yakuza which us the, very powerful, Japanese mafia. So, in all my lack of sleep, I have written a poem to commemorate this event.

Ode to Don Quixote


My heart was saddened within me
and then I burned with a righteous indignation!
How dare these mafia men change something that was once so wonderful
into a world of deceit and betrayal.
Good bye sweet Don Quixote,
I will miss thee.
I will miss your overstuffed walls full of useless merchandise like
hair wax and man thongs.
I will miss your eight floors of household merchandise.
I will long for the food section with my favorite candies,
Doritos and the Meiji Chocolate song.
Goodbye cruel Don Qui!
I will miss thee.

Thank you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way cool!! Didn't know you had "righteous indignation"....well maybe I did just didn't know it was about man-thongs.

Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Partway through reading Don Quixote, and have to say it's a really fantastic read. Really funny and sad.

It's interesting though, that a store called Don Quixote would be owned by the Yakuza, being that some of the major themes of Don Quixote are deception, self-delusion, and self-righteousness.

Anonymous said...

Would you like to explain this righteous indignation for man-thongs Stephanie? Is there something you're not telling us?
--Christian

Matt said...

Does this mean you're going to stop singing the Donkey's Meiji jingle?

Anonymous said...

keep your day job