Thursday, September 14, 2006

Homesickness

Okay, I have to tell this story because it was a HUGE deal. It's sad but I'll tell it anyway...

On Wed. August 23 I made my first attempt at using a phone card to call my parents. Well I bought a phone card at 7-11 (you can do anything at 7-11 including pay your bills) and I went to the lounge to use the phone in there. (We have a lounge in our dorm with a phone, computers, printer, tv, etc.)
Well let me tell you, those phone cards are quite confusing especially when they're in Japanese... I tried using the card and it wasn't working and I started freaking out because I wanted to talk to my parents so I was not really sure what to do when Jesse came in. Jesse's been here for 2 years and speaks Japanese. So he used the card on his cell phone and helped and I got through. Yeah! Well not exactly, it turns out the card only 10 minutes on it! How the heck am I suppose to talk for only 10 minutes with my parents?!
So I talked with my mom and we heard this beep and right when my dad was about to talk to me it cut off! I thought I was going to kill something if I didn't die first.
We had orientation that day so I headed to school and figured I could buy another phone card and try again on the public phone at school. I bought the card and went to where the phone was suppose to be but as you've probably guessed, it wasn't there... That was it, the last straw.
I didn't really know what to do so I went and talked to my admissions counselor, Kirsten, and of course I was crying and she helped me figure out how to use the card on a phone two blocks down from the school and this time I had 20 minutes so I got to talk to my parents and say goodbye without being cut off so it was all okay.
Yes, a happy ending. And now I know how to use these ridiculous phone cards and I talk to my parents once a week.
I love happy endings... Of course this all started me wanted to come home and feeling really homesick and I actually got physically sick and was throwing up and stuff...
But again, the Lord is good and is taking care of me always and has helped me to adjust to living here and now I am enjoying myself and having a good time. Onto happier days!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I can totally see you frieking out and crying! That's really funny....I mean how sad!
--Christian

Anonymous said...

hey, i am sorry u had such a bad time using the phone cards. At least you didn't forget to bring green card to get back to America, like me. hehehehe. i am pretty stupid. i had trouble using the phone card too when i was in japan.Tachibana and I spend about 30 minutes to figure out how to use the phone cards. I still have Japanese phone card that has 80 minutes left, i don't think i have chance to use it america. So if you give me your address in Japan, i can send you the phone card so you could use it.
---- Koala