Thursday, September 14, 2006

Cell phones and trains

So yesterday I went to the Meguro City Office in Naka-Meguro and picked up my Alien Registration Card making me offical and legal. I picked up my card at around 11:15am and at 11:40am I had told Bulldog that I would call and talk to him at everybody at church because it was Wedneday night at 7:40pm at home. So I fiugred, no problem. I'll just use my calling card on my cell phone and call from that. Well it kinda worked and kinda didn't. I was able to get through and talk but I couldn't hear very well and I still haven't figured out how to turn the volume up on my phone and there was apparently a huge delay but it was still really cool to be able to hear everyone and to talk to Bulldog. I'll have to set up another time to do that and use the phone in the lounge next time so I can actually hear.
After Naka-Meguro I headed towards Aoto to meet with a lady I met at Don QUixote while getting my cell phone(I'll get to that story in a minute) and of course I got lost and was late and ended up leaving late and missing math calss, again...
So this all leads me to the story of how I got my cell phone...
I went to this really awesome store called Don Quixote in Shibuya. It's like a Wal-Mart but much bigger, better quality and a lot more stuff. Their mascot is this little penguin dude...


I mean, how awesome is this guy? Who wouldn't want to shop at this store?

So I go to Don Quixote and it takes forever to get a contract set up because I don't speak Japanese and the guy helping me doesn't speak any English but we get it done and he tells me that it's going to take 30 minutes because he has to send all the information off to the headquarters to be approved etc. but I have to go to math class. So I tell him I'll come back at around 7:00pm and I run for school. Of course, I take the wrong train again and I miss class... So I just decided to go back to Shibuya and grab some dinner and then go get my phone. I went to Yoshinoya and sat down and ordered and started eating when this old, not that old but older, lady sits next to me and starts talking to me in very broken English. We get to talking about phones and she shows me hers and how she has tv and all that and then she tells me that she's come with me to go and get my phone.
So we head to Don Quixote and she translates for me so I understand the terms of the contract and all that and I get my phone. It was really cool that she helped me and we arranged to meet, yesterday, and have English conversation and she would teach me to cook.
We won't be meeting again until October and this time we're going to an all you can eat Chinese restaurant in Ikebukuro which should be a lot of fun.
And that is my adventure in getting a cell phone. Unfortunately math had to suffer but I just do the practice problems in the book and it's no problem. I figured out how long it takes me to get to school as well so I can manage my time better and not miss class.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny... I'd probably do the exact same thing, only I'd miss EVERYTHING and get lost in the city and start crying and blubbering in english and they'd say (in japanese) "get this crybaby white girl out of our country!" and then... they'd dpeort me!

Anonymous said...

Wow! what a loser! I bet you had a spaz attack and started crying like that one time you got lost here in California! hahahaha!

--Christian

Anonymous said...

hehe. That is awesome how that lady help you out with cell phone.Japanese people are so nice. So do you have t.v. on your cell phone too. hehe. show me your cell phone picutre if you can.
----koala