Thursday, February 15, 2007

Happy Strawberry and Akihabara

I am currently eating a Happy Strawberry Crunchy bar that was a Valentines gift from a friend. Apparently it is "A fine combination of crunchy malt-puffs and chocolate". Only in Japan...

Anywho, Because of our Undergraduate Holiday on Tuesday Kimi, Matt, Bobby and I decided to walk around Akihabara. Kimi and I met Matt and Bobby at Shinjuku station where we started watching a band perform. There is usually a band there but this time they were good. We stayed for the entire performance and afterwards bought CD's and took pictures with the guys. Bobby even did a little rap and drew quite a crowd. It was so much fun! We're groupies! Hahaha... It was great and apparently they're there every Tuesday and Friday night so we plan on going back. Luckily Kimi took a vid of them and of Bobby. It was rad.

Akihabara was fun too. We were going to go to a Maid Cafe but decided against it due to the fact that we have no idea what goes on in those places at night. So instead we had some ramen and then went to Don Quixote. I bought a very strange looking can with Hello Kitty on it that I believed to be a soda. Boy was I wrong. I have no idea what was in that can but it did not smell and/or look good. You can see the picture in the slide show. Ya, that was gross. But it was a fun time. I love exploring new places.



Sorry about the fuzziness. Slide is still being retarded... (>.<)--O)*~*)

3 comments:

Matt said...

If Slide continues to be troublesome I recommend Flickr. I've been using it for a couple years now and have been very happy with it.

Anonymous said...

Cool....trip....Why the kitchen and household gadgets on the sidewalk? Are they special? And be careful of anything in a can with a cartoon character on the front....you never know.

Love you,
Mom

Tahiro Hashizume said...

In case you did not figure out what was inside the can, I'm telling you that it was
Oden (おでん)
. Oden is actually a very popular dish during the winter here in Japan that you can even buy them at almost every "Combini" across the nation. Now, canned Oden is something you might wanna associate with Akihabara. In Akihabara, there has been a drink vending machine next to the shop called "Chichibu-Denki" (across the street from LAOX "The Computer" building) long been selling canned Oden, commonly known as Oden-can. Akihabara can easily be described with three things; geek (can be mania, otaku, freak), maid, and Oden-can. Anyway, it was a big surprise to me though, that they now have the kitty version of those things...hahaha
Trust me, you can ask almost anything about Akihabara and get most of answers from my mouth because I grew up seeing that town from the age of 7.